Thursday, September 10, 2009

Memory of Mayhem - Demo

Again, it has been a while since I have updated, my apologies. All that bull aside, I think it is finally time for a new review! And since the last review of a demo album/unsigned band went so well, I figured I would try it again. Now remember, I'm not going to review an unsigned band just to slam them, so of course this will be a recommendation!

As I rarely check my myspace anymore, my inbox gets filled with tons of garbage bands that I usually don't even take the time of day to listen to because they fill their request message with smiley faces and "we will love you forever" type things. If you stoop to that low, as to begging, you must suck.

In any event, Memory of Mayhem sat at the top of my request list, and I figured I should give them a check, since the band name is obviously predicting carnage.

I was a little let down that I would only have one song to judge them on, usually not a good sign. Nevertheless, I hit the play button and was instantly captivated. The intro sounds like something from War of Ages, beautiful lead guitar riffs, killer double kicks, but not over done.

As I've stated, I am a big fan of breakdowns, and seeing as how the breakdown in the near beginning of the song is repeated many times throughout the song, amazing, and its not a shitty sounding one either.

Vocals are fierce, I can't put my finger on what it sounds like, its pretty much its own sound. The clean vocals are decent, nothing to swoon over, but it doesn't exactly sound like shit either, better than most. The best part: you can understand both screams and clean vox. And I do love the gang vocals nearer to the end.

Only complaint about the one song is it seems a little long/repetitive after a while. Either way, I am looking forward to hearing more from these guys.

















Demo: 8 out of 10 zings.

Message to band: lets hear more from you guys! I'm sure you are working on it. I've played this song more than once.

No comments:

Post a Comment